The Owlets of London


So I managed the 5 days, 5 bird challenge and today is the last day and there’s only one way to end it. Not only is this the picture I am most proud of and one that made it as a runner up in a photography competition and was part of an exhibition it was genuinely one of the most exciting moments I have ever experienced. Seeing one in the centre of London with its chicks during the day was something I have dreamt of for a long long time, it was a Hoot!


Tawny Owl ‘Strix aluco’
UK Conservation Status: Amber
UK Breeding: 50.000 pairs
Location: St James Park  
Date: 7/3/19 


Owls are truly amazing birds, from their keen eyesight to the silence of their flight they are simply magnificent. 
They are portrayed in cartoons as being big old wise birds and it’s pretty accurate. 
I just love them.

note: it may look like i got too close but i can assure you i did not, i kept my distance and i made sure that anybody else that had noticed the owls or came near by watched on from a fair distance. No shot or view is worth putting any wildlife at risk.


There isn’t just one tree in St James park so without a bit of help from a fellow on Facebook it would have been pretty impossible to find the tawny owl that had took up resident and successfully fledged 3 Owlets. This was a day or so before it became local news so I definitely picked the right lunch time to grab my camera and quickly rush down there, with not much confidence but excited by the prospect of success I feel like I floated down the road.
I was given a rough location and from there I used my knowledge of Owls and birds of prey to my advantage.
There were barriers around certain areas and trees with people under them but none of that felt right so I lit a cigarette and walked slowly alongside the lake, I knew what I was waiting for but I was certain it wouldn’t happen and then it did; Crows!
Crows were bombing a near by tree and that behaviour screams a Bird of Prey is about, my heart stopped for a second and my legs went to jelly I was literally shaking. I walked onto the freshly cut grass, skipped over a sleeping Egyptian goose “sorry mate” I said and continued on to the commotion created my the murder of crows.
As I approached the tree I could now see that another photographer was there and he was looking straight up with his camera perched on a tripod and I knew my strategy had worked, the crows gave it away!
I looked up and there they were 2 white balls of fluff, sat together looking extremely cute but vulnerable. 
This was the first ever picture i had taken of an owl


I was petrified at one point when one of the Owlets fell from its branch and just managed to grab hold of a small twig and lucky it did as it was one of the last parts of the tree that could have saved it before it hit the floor and perished. 

My heart was in my mouth

Doing the maths it seems like these chicks would have hatched at the end of January so not only the crows but the busy park, extremely cold conditions and a storm on its way they really were up against it. with great sadness I can confirm that one of the chicks did not make it and it saddens me deeply as I feel for that brief encounter I was somewhat part of them. Its obviously hard for me to talk about positives but what I will say is: with the challenges they faced and the mortality rate of owlets the mother would certainly of had an easier time with only one extra mouth to feed.

I spoke to the photographer present and we had a pleasant chat about wildlife, photography and life in general and he went on to mention that he would really love to get a picture of the mother.
Okay he wasn't challenging me but i accepted this anyway and went to find her, it didn't take me long, she was sleeping peacefully in another sycamore tree not too far away.
She must have been aware at this point that the crows were harassing her little balls of fluff but she didn't get involved, at that point!
this was just as she came to the rescue 
The number of crows doubled and it was time for mummy owl to protect her chicks.
She flew over with haste and the crows dispersed for a short while but as they returned chaos erupted. So early on in the year there was no cover for them as the leaves had long fallen.
kept the crows at bay before heading back off to another tree for some sleep

Once the crows had gone mum went off for some sleep in the next tree and the chicks started to relax so now was my time to take a photo of them properly without interference.
I took around 30 shots, had a quick check that they were as good as i could have got, thought about my Mum and headed back to work to share my news with anyone that cared.

This was the image that i entered for London national park city's photo competition and was chosen as a finalist by Bear Grylls, the Urban birder David Lindo, Sam Hobson, Shirley Rodrigues and Danielle Conner
I feel I really achieved something that day, it might sound weird to some but getting that picture meant so much to me and it was a dream come true. You may live out in the country and see or hear these birds daily but for me this was not a common occurrence and it was definitely an encounter I will never forget.

I wish my Mum could have seen the pictures, I think she would have loved them; more importantly she would have loved the enthusiasm and passion I have for nature.

Kings Cross exhibition

Did you know: The tawny owl is our largest common owl and is known for making the familiar 'twit twoo' owl call during the night and early hours. Yet this call this is actually made by both a male and female owl calling to each other - the female makes a 'ke-wick' sound and the male answers with something more like 'hoo-hoo-oo'.


Thank you so much to everyone that has supported me since I started out with a camera.



Until next time,



Bob Horsefield (@peckhambirdman)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peckham Pecker

The Dipper